NeateScaleImage
Universal Carrier MkII AOP - IBG Models Universal Carrier II Mk II (72024)
MainImage Thumbnail1 Thumbnail2 Thumbnail3
Thumbnail4 Thumbnail12 Thumbnail7
Thumbnail9 Thumbnail5 Thumbnail10
Thumbnail6 Thumbnail8 Thumbnail11
The IBG Universal Carrier II Mk II is a good little kit with bags of potential, so I decided to make mine in to an Artillery OP version. I enhanced the running gear, by adding copper wire springs and tidying up the join between the two halves of the suspension arm. The AOP version has different stowage and equipment than other versions, so here are the addition components I added. Across the rear two stacked ration boxes, the central battery box with magazine filler stowage box on top and attached oil and petrol can holder. The artillery board No3 stowed in its holder on the hull side, with pioneer tools stowed on the rear. Other components consist of three fire extinguishers, signal cartridges box, aerial gear bag No2 MkII, a covered charging set, Wireless set No11, wireless set No18 (portable), wireless batteries, aerial base, wireless spares box, lifting jack, track adjustment tool, grease gun, starting handle, lamp stand, periscope (stowed), signals pistol, Bren gun and magazine box. The crew figures (driver, wireless operator, lance bombardier and commander) were made using parts from several figures from different manufacturers. I have used Milliput, Green Putty, Plasto and plastic card to fill gaps and model new details and features. It has been quite time consuming fiddling with the figures to fit them in to the limited space in the carrier. The base colour Humbrol 116 was sprayed over the whole model before the driver was added. Once the driver was completed and fixed in position the front of the carrier could be glued in place and the hull joints filled and the rivets added. The tracks were quite fiddly only because the individual track links are so small, but once these are glued together they are much easier to handle. I used Liquid Poly very sparingly to glue the tracks together, adding a bit more once the track links were in the correct position on the track former, being careful not to glue the track to the former.